The role is an early hire at a company aiming to quickly grow through greenfield project development and M&A focused on energy storage and flexible generation resources. This employee will be a key contributor for many different areas of the business and involved in financial decision making at the corporate and project level as the company builds asset portfolios in various power markets. While the role will primarily have an analytical focus, the ideal candidate is a motivated self-starter able to grow into a position of leading corporate and project financing negotiations and closings.
More specifically, this role will have key responsibilities around financial modeling for various project assets throughout the development lifecycle, assisting capital markets transactions, project M&A, and financing execution for the company, and various other ad hoc duties relating to development of our power generation portfolio.
Other responsibilities include analysis of strategic priorities, finance team coordination with construction (particularly around financings), scenario analysis of upside and downside cases and different power contracting structures. This role will also be involved in various other corporate tasks including assisting with board of director material preparation, preparation for investment committee meetings, etc.
This role, like all at Nightpeak, requires an entrepreneurial mindset and an ability to make decisions in a fast-paced environment in one of the nation’s fastest growing industries. This role will also be instrumental in building a strong company culture of integrity, accountability, hard work, collaboration, and success.
A financial modeling test will be administered during the interview process.
- Expert level Excel financial modeling of projects under various stages of development
- Ability to understand and model different financial structures (debt, tax credits, etc)
- Partner with different functional areas and senior management to effectively manage financial & project risk
- Ability to review and understand various project legal contracts
- Develop an understanding of relevant tax and accounting rules for energy projects
- Creation of proposals, information memorandums, presentations, project schedules and data rooms
- Facilitate flow of information between finance, development, legal and business development teams during transaction execution
- Work closely with technical, legal, financial, and other advisors during due diligence
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team both in-person and remote
Skills and Qualifications
- Strong quantitative aptitude, with an extremely high level of attention to detail
- Expert proficiency in Excel and financial modeling including automation of various tasks through VBA programming
- Satisfactory completion of a financial modeling test in Excel
- Experience and high level of proficiency in power point
- Excels in a fast-paced, dynamic, sometimes self-directed work environment requiring an entrepreneurial mindset
- Four-year undergraduate degree in Finance, Engineering, Economics, Accounting, Statistics, or similar quantitative field
- Master degree, CFA, or CPA preferred
- Prior experience in highly analytical and quantitative fields like investment banking, consulting, and accounting preferred (Industry specific experience not required)
- Prior transaction experience with a leading commercial or investment bank, investor, or developer of utility scale energy projects
- Business sense and a commercial mindset
- Comfortable with legal document review and negotiation
- Resourceful and passionate to find answers to tough questions
- Collaborative and open-minded, knows when to seek input
- Able to dive into research, analyze findings, and arrive at the right answer
Nightpeak Energy (“Nightpeak”) was founded in 2022 by four seasoned industry veterans that together have developed, financed, and constructed over 2.9 GWh of batteries in the US along with GWs of other renewables representing billions of dollars of invested capital. The company is backed by leading venture and private equity investor Energy Spectrum Capital. Our mission is to reliably power our communities towards a low-carbon future by developing, owning, and optimizing a fleet of quick-start and dispatchable power plants, with a focus on utility-scale batteries. We have a passion for deciphering how the grid will evolve, following the rapidly developing power markets, thinking five steps ahead, uncovering the next big opportunity, and making high-quality power projects.